On The Rise!
INDIAN HEAD PARK POLICE DEPARTMENT
Chief Steven Stelter
I would like to make you aware of the RUSE BURGLARIES which are taking place in many of the surrounding communities. A RUSE BURGLARY is usually committed by offenders working in pairs.
One offender uses a distraction (Ruse) to keep the victim’s attention diverted while the second offender enters the home to steal valuables, typically cash or jewelry.
Ruse burglaries often are targeted towards senior citizens and people living alone.
Common Ruse Themes
Utility problems such as water, gas, or electric problems must be addressed immediately. They may pretend to be from the water department saying that they have to test your water pressure.
Property line issues i.e.:
They are building a fence for the neighbor and need to check your property line with the victim thus leaving the residence unattended.
The unsolicited offer of work on your home or property (i.e.: They have extra blacktop and can seal the driveway, roof, gutters, etc.)
Asking questions about homes for sale in the area
Offenders may say they are friends of the previous owner or a family member
- Do not let anyone into your home you do not know or did not schedule to be there
- Ask for ID, no legitimate utility worker will object to providing ID. Check the street for a fully marked utility vehicle. Utility workers do not drive unmarked utility vehicles. Note the vehicles being used. All Indian Head Park public works vehicles are clearly marked with the Village name and logo.
- Never leave your doors unlocked.
- Safeguard valuables in a safe if possible
- You can verify utility emergencies by calling your municipality or 911
- Never confront any suspected offenders
If you suspect you are being targeted remain safe and call 911. Getting pictures of vehicles, writing down license plates or descriptions of the offenders may be helpful to the police if it can be done safely.
Offenders are known to wear fluorescent safety vests and use walkie talkies which helps them look like public works employees (always verify the work request with Indian Head Park before letting anyone inside the home)
If you have seen suspicious vehicles and/or subjects approaching neighbors, or you feel you were the victim of a ruse burglary, please call the Indian Head Park Police Department at 911. This is an emergency situation. Do not call the administrative phone number.