Administrative Adjudication

Issuance of Violation

A village police officer or code enforcement officer may issue a ticket, ordinance violation, or file a complaint against a citizen. The violation notice can be served to the citizen in person, by mail, or by leaving the ticket on a vehicle at the residence or business. Violation notices have a ticket payment date located at the top right corner of the ticket.  You must pay the fine noted in the bottom left corner of the ticket on or before the payment date, or request to attend a municipal adjudication hearing by filling out an adjudication request form. If you do not pay the amount noted in the bottom left corner or request an adjudication date in time then the fine will double. 

In order to request a hearing date and contest a ticket, you must come to the Indian Head Park Police Department, 201 Acacia Drive, Indian Head Park, Illinois 60525, and complete a hearing request form. At that time a hearing date will be assigned to you. If you request a hearing, you may still pay the fine instead of going to the hearing as long as it is on or before the Friday before your assigned hearing date. 

Attending A Hearing

All hearings are held at the Indian Head Park Village Hall Board Room, 201 Acacia Drive, Indian Head Park, Illinois. The hearings are on the 3rd Wednesday of each month and start promptly at 9:30 am. It is recommended you arrive a few minutes early. Once you enter the hearing room please sit and wait until your case is called before approaching the hearing officer.

You may represent yourself at the hearing or hire an attorney to represent you at your own expense. A continuance is not allowed unless the hearing officer finds good cause. Lack of preparation is not considered good cause.

If you fail to appear for the scheduled hearing, the hearing officer will conduct the hearing in your absence. You will be subject to any fines and penalties including court fees. Also, any individual who is found liable during the adjudication hearing must pay a $50.00 court fee in addition to the fee on their ticket.

Audio, video, food, drink, and chewing gum are not allowed in the hearing room. Cellular phones and other communication devices must be silenced prior to entering the hearing room and may not be used in the hearing room. Proper conduct must be maintained at all times. People who are disruptive will be asked to leave and risk having their cases heard without them present. Criminal charges may be filed against disruptive people when appropriate.

If you cannot speak English you need to provide your own translator as one will not be provided for you.

Hearing Process

When the hearing begins, the hearing officer will make an opening statement to identify herself, her role, and expectations. When the hearing officer calls a case, the involved individual(s) should acknowledge the case and approach the hearing officer. The hearing begins immediately and the involved individuals are given an opportunity to testify and present evidence. All testimony is recorded and given under oath.

By law, the village representative who issued the violation is not required to appear for the hearing. The ticket, ordinance violation, or complaint may be enough evidence to prove or disprove the village’s case.

You have the right to explain your side of the case to the hearing officer. This could include witnesses, physical evidence, or photographs. The village may retain the evidence presented. There is no right to a trial by jury in administrative hearings and there are no public defenders who are appointed to represent you.

Hearing Officer's Decision

After both sides have been heard, the hearing officer will make a decision based on the evidence presented. If you are found liable, fines, penalties, and court costs may be imposed according to the Village code.

The hearing officer will provide the decision in the form of a written document which you will receive at the end of the hearing. It is important you receive a copy of the findings, decisions, and order. You have 30 days to pay any fines imposed. You may pay fines with the Village of Indian Head Park Administration Department or Police Department.

If you disagree with the hearing officer’s decision, you may appeal the case with the Cook County Circuit Clerk.