Flood Plain Regulations and Permits

  1. Special Flood Hazard Areas
  2. Current Flood Plain
  3. Flood Hazard Area Restrictions
  4. Village Regulations

Special Flood Hazard Areas

Building permits are required for the following:
  • Additions
  • Decks
  • Driveways
  • New structures
  • Pools and fences
  • Remodeling projects
  • Repairs
  • Replacements
  • Sheds


Some of these activities may not be permitted or may be restricted if they will be located within the Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA). Other activities that may not normally require a building permit such as regrading or filling may also be prohibited or restricted if it will occur with the SFHA.

Obtaining Permits

Required building permits must be obtained from the Building Department before beginning any construction. Call the Building and Zoning Department at 708-­246­-3080 ext 101 for specific requirements related to your project.

More Information

Before you construct anything that may be in the flood plain it is best to check with the Public Works Water Department 708-­246­-1233. Certain types of construction, particularly in the floodway, may also require additional permits from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.