Refuse, Recycling, Yard and Hazardous Waste Links


Hazardous Waste Disposal

Drainage and Waste

Brush Collection


































































































Refuse, Recycling, Yard and Hazardous Waste Disposal

Refuse, recycling and (most) yard waste is handled by Groot Industries. To set up new service or to resolve issues with garbage pick-up, please contact Groot at 708-485-0900. Groot has a dedicated webpage for Indian Head Park residents available here. The webpage addresses such things as refuse and electronic waste guidelines, recycling, yard waste and holiday schedule.

Refuse, recycling and yard waste must be placed near the curb by 6:00 a.m. on pick up day. Pick up day in Indian Head Park is on Tuesday or Friday, depending upon your location. Residents are allowed to use their own garbage cans or bags not larger than 32 gallons and not weighing more than 45 pounds each. Groot rents 65 and 95 gallon trash containers with wheels.

Yard waste is collected by Groot April 1 through November 30 each year. Yard waste must be placed in brown lawn waste bags with a pink yard waste sticker attached to the bag. These stickers are available at Jewel, Tony's Finer Foods or the Village Administration Office. Information about yard waste stickers can be found on the Adminstration Department webpage here.


Groot provides an informative webpage Recycling 101, which includes what materials can be recycled and how the materials are to be prepared for pick up. For more information about recycling in general, please visit the West Cook County Solid Waste Agency.

Household Hazardous Waste

What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Household hazardous waste (HHW) includes any discarded household product that contains toxic, corrosive, explosive, or flammable substances. Paints, stains, cleaning solvents, automotive fluids and fertilizers are among the most common examples of HHW.

These hazardous materials are stockpiled in basements, closets, garages, sheds and closets across west Cook County. Many of these items have been stored for a long time, increasing the chances of product or container deterioration. Disposing of these items can be a challenge, as personal and environmental damage can occur if they are disposed of in the trash, poured down the drain or dumped on the ground.

Where can I dispose of HHW?

Currently, few permanent disposal programs exist in Illinois. The City of Chicago, Naperville, Rockford and Lake County provide the public with easy access to proper management of these wastes. Funding for these HHW programs comes, in part, from Illinois Environmental Protection Agency. Click here for a list of upcoming events.

Permanent Drop-off Facility in Naperville

Residents can drop off household chemical wastes at Naperville's permanent Hazardous Waste Facility located at 156 Fort Hill Drive on Saturdays and Sundays from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM (Closed on Holiday weekends). Call (630) 420-6095 or click here for more information.

West Cook County Mobile HHW Collection Program

If Naperville is not an option, you can bring your hazardous materials to one of the yearly collections.

If there is not an event listed above, please check back for future dates.

The following materials are not accepted at a HHW collection event:

Ammunition                     Explosives
Fireworks                        Lead Acid Batteries
Fire Extinguishers             Medical Waste
Smoke Detectors              Propane Tanks
Business Waste                 Latex Paint
Agricultural Waste            Automotive Batteries

Drainage Maintenance and Waste

For some people that live on or near creeks, wetlands or other drainage­ways, these may seem as a handy place to get rid of yard wastes. After all it is no different than what grows there naturally. And eventually they will decay and fertilize the area. It is illegal to deposit any type of debris including branches, leaves, grass clippings or dirt into or adjacent to any creeks, ponds, wetlands detention basins, ditches or other areas that periodically collect and convey storm waters. This applies particularly on the streets that parallel Flagg Creek, including Keokuk Road and Cochise Drive.

Besides being unsightly, they can cause obstructions that aggravate flooding. Materials left on the banks or shores will kill the natural vegetation under it resulting in soil erosion. Any person found guilty is subject to fines. Anyone seeing someone dumping anything in these areas should call our Police Department at 911.

Besides the above described problems, this dumping also seriously impairs water quality. The second phase of the federal“Clean Water Act” first passed in 1972 is underway. The goal is to make all the waterways in the United States fishable and swimable. Though not too many people may want to swim or fish in Salt or Buffalo Creeks, the water quality in these creeks affects the quality of the Des Plaines and Illinois Rivers into which they discharge. The focus of Phase 2 will be on polluted storm water runoff. The source of the pollution can be oils, chemicals and debris washed off of streets and parking lots; fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides off lawns; soils erosion and other contaminates from construction sites and the deliberate dumping of chemicals and other wastes into waterways or storm sewers.

In the spring of 2004, the Village passed an ordinance that prohibits the discharge to the storm drainage system of anything but storm water. This includes things such as old motor oil, antifreeze and other automotive fluids; unused paints, solvents or cleaning fluids; waste water like from carpet cleaning; animal wastes; etc.

Any person discharging pollutants into the waterways or storm drainage system is liable to criminal prosecution and is subject to a penalty of not less than $200.00 nor more than $1,000.00 per violation. In accordance with the Federal Storm Sewer Regulations, if anyone sees someone dumping chemicals, paints, solvents or other pollutants into the creeks or into storm drains or streets so that they get into the creek system, or a resident has any other storm water quality or concerns or issues, please contact the office of the Director of Public Works and Water, Edward Santen, at 708-246-3154.

Most household wastes can be re­cycled, disposed of with the normal garbage collection when properly prepared or brought to a hazardous waste collection site. Visit the Village’s website at www.indianheadpark­il.gov for further information on disposing of these wastes. It is important to know that every curb inlet and storm drain in the Village discharges into a pond or creek.

Brush Collection

Brush collection is done by two different agencies at different times during the year.

During the Winter Months:

Brush Pickup by Indian Head Park Public Works Department

Curbside brush pick-up will occur ONLY ONCE during the winter season beginning the first Monday in February at 7 a.m.

We ask that you have LOOSE brush set out at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on the first Monday in February. Crews will make only one pass through the entire Village. If the amount of brush is excessive, the project may take longer to finish. Please be patient; if we do not pick up your brush on Monday, we will get there sometime during that week.


 Brush must be eight-inches in diameter or less to accommodate the chipper.

 Firewood or tree stumps are not accepted because of the potential damage to the chipper.

 Cut ends should face the curb with branches as long as possible.

If you have any questions regarding the brush winter pick-up, please call the Department of Public Works at (708) 246-3154.

During the Summer Months:

Brush Pickup by Groot Recycling and Waste Services

During the months of April through November, Groot Recycling and Waste Services trucks will pick up your brush on the same day as your garbage pick-up.


If you have any questions regarding the summer pick-up, please call Groot Recycling and Waste Services at 1(800) 244-1977

Storm Collection of Brush

Public Works does not pick up brush after every storm. After major storms, the VillageAdministrator makes a determination as to the need for a special brush pick-up. If the need isdeemed significant, the Forestry Division will collect tree limbs. Crews will only make one pass down each street. You may call the Public Works Department at (708) 246-3154 to find out if we will be conducting a special brush collection.