A building permit is required prior to the commencement of any construction, addition, alteration, demolition or interior/exterior remodeling affecting the structural integrity of any building structure.
- A Building Permit Application Form may be obtained online.
- Return the completed Building Permit Form to the Administration Office during regular business hours.
- Construction may not begin until a permit has been approved and issued by the Village of Indian Head Park.
When To Apply
The time to apply for a building permit is before you start a project. Keep in mind that building permits may take a few days to process and all contractors doing work in the Village need to be registered annually.
What Requires a Building Permit
A building permit is required for the following scopes of work:
- Alterations to existing structures
- Changes in grade
- Electric or plumbing service upgrades (including sewer clean out installation)
- Fireplace installations
- Garage floor replacement
- Hot tubs
- In-ground swimming pools
- Installation of RPZ sprinkler devices
- Other miscellaneous improvements
What Does Not Require A Building Permit
A building permit is not needed for the following projects:
- Certain interior decorating projects
- Carpet replacement
- Cabinet replacement
- Replacement of flooring
- Various other interior routine home improvement projects
- Driveway resurfacing or replacement (if the grade or size of the driveway and property is not altered)
- Faucet or appliance replacement
- Roof shingle replacement (without structural alterations to the roof line)
- Window and door replacement (as long as the project does not require any solid walls to be cut, it is not a door located between the house and garage, or located in a bedroom and/or basement)
An over-the-counter permit can be obtained for the following projects:
- Air conditioner
- Hot water replacement
- Sewer repairs
- Tuck-pointing a chimney